This is a step by step guide to creating a Twitter account. I will also add pictures or screen shots for illustration in my basic guide. It is advisable to create 2 Twitter accounts if you have a branded domain name. The first Twitter account will be for your personal profile and the second one for your blog. I will explain with an example; my own personal account is @SabieDivine and on DivineBeautyTrends.com blog, my Twitter handle is @DivineBeautyTrends.
What is Twitter?
I am sure you have heard somehow about social media. Twitter is one of the major and commonly used social media tool in the universe. It is a blogging tool as well. You can connect with friends and family as well as advertise and promote your business through Twitter for free. After Facebook, twitter is the best thing on the web world. With Twitter you can share your thoughts, links, views etc in just 160 characters. You can use Twitter to connect with many other like minded people, create a relationship with them as well as a marketing platform for your blog. Twitter can also be used to drive traffic and create an identity for your brand.
How to Create a Twitter Account
2. Fill up your name, phone number and password.
Do remember that Twitter keep changing their homepage design so that the process will be the same, only button placement may differ over the time.
3. After clicking on “Sign up for Twitter” choose a “Username” for yourself or the suggested one. If the user name you chose is not available Twitter will let you know.
If you are creating an account for your blog, make sure you use your brand name as full name. Example: DivineBeautyTrends.
4. Verify your account by a verification code that Twitter verification team will send to you through an email.
Click on the link in the email to verify your account. This is a very crucial step, so do not skip or ignore it.Once you verified your account, you will be taken to “Twitter home page”, and you will be automatically logged into your Twitter account.
5. Click on “Create my account” and complete a provided CAPTCHA to let twitter know that you are human.
Creating your Twitter Profile
· Upload your profile picture by clicking on the empty profile photo of yourself.
· Your profile picture can always be changed anytime if you like.
· Write a short biography of not more than in 160 characters describing yourself and or your brand.
· Fill out and personalize the rest of your profile information about you and or your brand; name, biography, website, and location, etc.
· Add your header photo or picture.
· Save changes if you are done filling up all your needed information.
Building Twitter followers
After creating your Twitter account, now it is time for you to link up with your friends and family. If it’s a Twitter account for your brand or business, you can link up with businesses and people of the same brand. This is called “followers”. Below are a few ways to learn how to start building followers and following people and brands;
- Twitter will suggest to or recommend a few account as to start following with.
- Follow relevant ones only e.g. people you know.
- Twitter will ask you for permission to use your email so as to give you a list on your contacts who are already on Twitter. Choose whomever you would like to follow.
- Follow celebrities as well.
- You can follow celebrities as well.
- Be active on the social media platforms.
How to Start Tweeting
Now that your Twitter account is set up, it's time to start sharing messages with your people. Learn about basic Twitter lingo and abbreviations first as you start exploring Twitter. Twitter status update only allows 160 characters so plan your words wisely. Below are links to articles I wrote about making money with Twitter and driving traffic with Twitter.
If you have enjoyed this article, feel free to share it on social media, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest and Google plus.